This is one thing I really like about the new strategy of Microsoft: All platforms (I know it’s not the official statement but still)
The OMS app was already available on WindowsPhone platform (in preview) and quite frankly it makes sense to actually develop for your own native platform first.
But today Microsoft has announced the availability of the OMS app across all the different platforms (Ios, android and winphone).
The install is crystal clear as you are used to through the store.
NOTE: Fellow MVP Cameron Fuller has a blog post about the experience on an ipad here: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2015/10/21/the-microsoft-oms-experience-on-an-ipad/
A first look:
A couple of screenshots of the possibilities and look and feel on iPhone:
First start of the app (really like the look and feel):
Login screen looks very familiar:
Auto switch between corporate or personal
Signed in and detected that your workspaces, it’s indeed possible to switch between the different workspaces:
You have 3 options:
- Dashboard: Is your personal dashboard which you can change by using the familiar pen icon
- Overview: The general overview of you environment with all the solutions installed
- Searches: Launch different searches in your workspace
Starts into your dashboard:
Also possible in landscape 🙂
Settings tab can be reached by tapping the 3 red dots on the top of the screen.
- Push notifications on home screen for predefined scenarios
- Add new searches in the app to answer specific questions of people calling outside office hours
- Ability to choose where to start (dashboard or overview)
- change order of the solutions in the overview pane
The app is intended as an extension / dashboard for your OMS workspace. It’s not possible to add servers or delete servers from your workspace nor add solutions. This is not a drawback in my opinion as you only want to see things happening in your workspace on the go. This is a first version of course but I had no issues installing and connecting it. I will keep an eye on the data usage on my cell phone plan though just to see how it will affect my usage of mobile data and of course my battery life.